It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doctor Who fic: The Library of Blank Books, COMPLETE/YTeen
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:39 am 

Title: The Library of Blank Books, Part 1
Author: Ponygirl
Rating: YTeen, for one swear word (Bad Nine! No biscuit!)
Characters: Nine, Rose, Ace, Seven (genfic)
Spoilers: Seasons 25-27
Warnings: Er... snark? Do you have to warn for high levels of snark, these days?

A/N: This fic is written for lgrace61, who kindly allowed it to be posted for all to see. Thanks, as ever, to dark_aegis for her invaluable beta eagle-eye.

The Library of Blank Books

The nightclub was dark and smoky, lit by black light and throbbing with a deep, alien musical beat. Rose prided herself that she was finally starting to feel comfortable in surroundings like these-- weird aliens and all-- but, to be honest, she was used to the Doctor being at her side, or at least nearby.

Normally, she would have protested when he suggested she spend the evening here while he took care of some business elsewhere in the city. In fact, normally, she would have dug her heels in and refused, point blank. So soon after her dad's death, though, she'd hesitated. Thinking that it might be good to just let go for a night, and lose herself in some good music and good drinks, in a place where absolutely no one knew her.

She smiled as the alien bloke she was dancing with executed a stylish duck-and-spin. The people here were pretty different; it still startled her when one of the long, ropy braids of hair favoured by both the men and women swayed back and forth to the pounding drumbeat, apparently under its own power. What was the word? Prehensile, that was it. Like a monkey's tail. Still, they were friendly, and not put off by her human appearance. She'd seen a scattering of other people from different planets, including one who looked like a giant octopus wearing a toga, so apparently there was space travel here.

Her dance partner, who gave the impression that he'd been sampling the local version of ecstasy pills, gave her a friendly hug as the song ended and walked away with a distracted wave and a giddy smile, back to a group of his friends. Rose waved back, and pushed damp hair away from her forehead, fanning herself as she made her way off the crowded dance floor and back to the bar.

Turning to people-watch as she sipped her fruity, blue mystery drink, her eye was caught by a girl leaning against the wall, half-hidden by shadows. It took a moment to realise what was so strange about her; she was human. About Rose's age, hair swept back in a ponytail, she was dressed in a way that struck Rose as more retro than retro-- as if she'd just stepped out of the 1980's, black bomber jacket and all.

Unable to ignore the mystery, she got a firm hold on her drink and made her way through the crowd, toward the girl from the past.

She saw the exact moment when the girl noticed her; saw her own surprise and curiosity mirrored, but with an added bit of wariness. Rose smiled, trying to look friendly and unthreatening.

"Hi! I'm Rose," she shouted in the simplified club-speak made necessary by the pounding music. "You're human, right?"

The girl nodded. Tapping her ear to indicate the noise level, she pointed to a hallway behind them. Rose gave her a thumbs-up, and led the way through the door, to where several knots of people were engaged in conversation, kissing, and a bit of occasional groping. When Rose turned back to her after the glass door closed behind them, cutting off the deep thrum of the bass line, some of the wariness had fallen away. The lighting revealed a girl about Rose's age, with a round, pretty face and intelligent eyes.

"Hiya," she said. "I'm Ace. So, tell me-- what's a nice Earth girl like you doing in a place like this?"

One thing you could say about a crew cut, the Doctor mused. It made for a lot less work when the hair on the base of your skull stood up, compared to all those chestnut curls.

And, even if he hadn't heard some of the tales that the locals spun about the Library, his neck would still be prickling right now; the amount of energy coming off of the white marble structure in front of him was phenomenal. Rose wouldn't notice it, of course, if she were here-- at least, not beyond a vague sense of unease. Funny little human brains. It was a wonder that enough of them managed to stay out of the jaws of the sabre-toothed tigers to ever clamber out of the Stone Age.

Best if he took care of this little problem alone, and quietly. The universe was littered with these reminders of the War. He still had some contacts among the higher races, though, and if what he'd heard was correct, this place was about to change from a curiosity into an unexploded land mine in a schoolyard.

Slipping further into the shadows, he took a quick reading with the sonic screwdriver, panning it around him like a high-tech divining rod, taking note of the change in pitch as he swept it downwards.

Underground. Yeah, they would be.

He was willing to bet there would be corridors involved, as well. With a sigh, he resumed his careful prowl around the perimeter of the deserted library.

"I'm just sort of... travelling," Rose said. "I've got this friend. He's an alien-- I met him on Earth, and now we travel around together."

Ace gave a soft laugh, as if at a private joke. "No kidding? And here I thought I had a monopoly."

"So, what about you?" Rose asked. "You sound like you're from London, am I right?"

"Perivale. 1984," Ace said, not sounding particularly pleased about it. "Not by choice, mind you. But now, I travel with the Professor. I met him on Iceworld. Long story. He's a bit mental, but he's a good mate. Anyway, we were having trouble with our ship, so we stopped here to pick up some parts. I figured I'd take a look around the place while he was busy haggling. We were s'posed to meet here when he was done, but he's late. As ever." She shrugged. "Figured I'd give him until first light, and then get out my butterfly net and go looking for him."

Rose couldn't help smiling at the image. "Sounds like mine. Dunno when he'll be back. I could wait with you; keep you company. Us Earth girls have to stick together, you know."

"If you like."

Rose gestured back into the main part of the club with her half-finished blue concoction. "Drink?"

Ace's eyes crinkled with amusement. "And dancing. Yeah, that sounds really good, actually."

Yup... corridors. Damp, poorly lit ones, at that. Still, the "poorly lit" part was actually in his favour. The sonic screwdriver had made short work of the cobbled-together security scanners, but it was nice to have some handy shadows to melt into should the need arise.

Seemed like his sources knew what they were talking about. Cell after grimy cell was filled with members of some of the most intelligent, enlightened and empathic races in the galaxy. Someone was amassing themselves quite a tidy little collection of interesting specimens. He briefly considered freeing them all as he went along, but, once the prisoners started milling around, his cover would be blown, and all hell would break loose.

Better to face the lion in its den, and deal with the library itself. Then he could concentrate on getting all of the victims back where they belonged.

He passed another of the identical cell doors and then froze in place, one heart stuttering momentarily in shock.

Ka-thump-THUMP.

No.

Surely not.

Steeling himself, he backtracked two steps and peered through the tiny glass window, and then tripped the lock with the screwdriver. The door creaked open, revealing a small man with dark hair and bushy eyebrows chained to the wall in the corner. A Panama hat sat forlornly on his head, slightly askew.

"You have got to be kidding me," he said to the little man.

The man peered at him for a moment, brow furrowed, and then broke into a cheerful smile.

"Oh, hello. Don't mind me," said his seventh incarnation. "I'm just hanging around for a bit."

"You shouldn't be here," he observed, intent on dazzling his past self with his brilliance, apparently.

"Well, one of us shouldn't. I think it's yet to be determined which one."

"No." He tried again. "I mean, you really shouldn't be here. You being here is Bad, with a capital 'B'."

The younger Doctor frowned, and he could almost hear the wheels turning. "And... why is that, exactly?"

"Because you're sitting on top of a whopping great paradox, that's why! I've got five words for you: the Library of Blank Books. Ring any bells?"

"Never heard of it."

"Yeah, you wouldn't have done. It hasn't happened for you, yet. Did I mention a paradox?"

"But..." The wheels were turning even faster now, if that was possible. "Time doesn't work that way. Not unless there was temporal interference on a massive scale, in my own personal timeline. Some kind of a... "

"Time War?"

He'd succeeded in rattling the little man, judging by the appalled look on the face that used to stare back out of the mirror. He stamped down on the tiny twinge of unhealthy satisfaction he felt at sharing the misery-- even if was only with himself in an earlier body.

"But that means..."

His seventh incarnation had always known that something big and terrible was coming, back then. He'd spent decades trying to stave off regeneration, in hopes that it would stave off that terrible something. But, still, that was no excuse for breaking the First Law of Time-- even if there was no-one around to enforce it anymore.

"Tell you what," he interrupted. "Do us both a favour. Don't go there. Just... don't. All you need to know is: library full of blank books; evil scientists trying to take control of it for their own personal gain; dungeon full of kidnapped aliens."

"Er... right. Yes. Sounds simple enough."

"Yeah, that's what I said. Now, I'll just release those shackles, and you can be on your way."

He expected stubbornness and an argument-- he knew his own mind, after all-- so he was taken somewhat aback by the look of resignation on the other's face, which seemed to be directed over his left shoulder.

"Somehow, I think the gentlemen standing behind you might have something to say about that," said the other Doctor.

He whirled around, only to be confronted by two goons with guns, flanking a man in a lab coat, aiming a scanner at him.

"Another Gallifreyan!" exclaimed the evil scientist. "My cup runneth over. You know, for a mythical species, you lot seem as common as houseflies." He turned to the goons. "Search him, then chain him up next to his friend. We'll make them the first in line for the experiment in the morning."

The goons headed for him, guns raised.

"Bollocks," he said.

"Language," chided the little man chained to the wall.

tbc

Last edited by ponygirl72 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who fic: The Library of Blank Books, Pt. 1/Rtd YTeen
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:48 am 

Here's part two. Apologies for being so ridiculously slow with this-- yesterday was my day off, and was supposed to be my big "writing day", but instead I spent it being violently ill after accidentally eating something at a restaurant on Sunday that I was allergic to. :flush

The Library of Blank Books, pt. 2

Dawn was just breaking as the last group of hardened party-goers was disgorged, blinking, onto the pavement in front of the club. The doors closed firmly behind them as the club's employees got ready to tackle the arduous daily task of cleaning up after several hundred drunken revellers.

Rose stifled a yawn as her body clock began to catch up to the local rhythms. TARDIS-lagged yet again.

"Okay," Ace said, slinging a large rucksack over her shoulder and craning around to look for her friend. "I'm officially worried, now."

"Yeah. You're not the only one. What do you reckon we should do next?"

Ace blew out a breath. "Coffee. Definitely coffee-- or whatever they drink around here when they should be drinking coffee. Then, I need to find out where the nearest mayhem is. No doubt, that's where I'll find the Professor."

"Do this often, then?" Rose asked. "Right. Coffee's good." She waylaid the nearest club-goer. "'Scuse me, mate-- what do you call the drink that you drink when you're drunk, that sobers you up and keeps you awake?"

He peered blearily at her. "What, you mean kavia?"

"That's the one. Where do we get some?"

He pointed across the road, and down half a block. "There's a shop over there, by the news stand. Don't try the faza pastries; they're awful."

"News stand, eh? Perfect. Thanks, mate." She turned back to Ace. "Kavia and mayhem it is, then."

"Nothing like the first shot of the day," said the other girl.

"What, of kavia?"

"No. Mayhem."

After a brief haggle over whether or not the shop accepted credit sticks as payment, they headed outside with cups of a foul-looking green substance that smelled heavenly and tasted like paint stripper.

The bored newsagent handed them a paper, watching curiously as they huddled over the front page.

"Okay, what have we got?" Ace asked rhetorically. "'First minister caught in flagrante with the anchorwoman of the Channel Zed 14 o'clock news'... 'Price of flopjaw bellies falls to new all-time low over fear of illegal commodity dumping'... 'State council agrees on a date next month for the demolition of the Library'..."

"About time they took care of that thing," interjected the newsagent, still leaning listlessly over the counter.

"Took care of what?" asked Rose, looking up from the paper.

"The Library," he said. "That thing's a bloody menace. Should have been torn down months ago."

"A library? What's so menacing about a library? Is it about to fall down or something?"

The man stared at her for a moment. "Everyone knows about the Library, love. You two been living under a rock or something?"

By now, Ace was looking up at the news agent as well. "We're not from around here, mate. Why don't you just tell us?"

"Blimey," said the man. "I thought everyone in the Eight Systems knew about the Library of Blank Books."

"Obviously not," Rose said.

He shook his head in wonder. "Well, it all happened about ten months ago. The Library of Arian City is one of the biggest in this sector. It's always been a popular place for academics, researchers, school trips, and regular people who just like to read. Then, one day out of the blue, all the words started disappearing from the books. Just sort of... faded away.

"It started in the Anthropology section and spread through all the Sciences, into the Biographies, Literature, Drama and the Arts. Patrons were screaming; running for the exits-- it was a regular old panic. They say the Romance section was the last to go... strange, that.

"Anyway, since then, anyone who goes into the Library just-- disappears. People say that the books are trying to get their knowledge back and, if you go near them, they simply suck you in. Little hard to verify it, of course, since no-one ever comes back with a report. They even tried sending in a robot. Same thing. Once it got close to the General Collection-- pfft!-- gone. Like I said, the place is a menace."

Rose and Ace looked at each other.

"Result," said Rose.

"What?" said the man.

"Nothing," Ace assured him. "So, where would we find this library? Is it close?"

"You're not thinking of going there?" He sounded alarmed at the prospect. "You want to steer clear of that place, Miss. It's nothing but trouble."

"No, no," Rose assured him. "We'd just like to, um... see it. From a distance, I mean. No harm in that, is there?"

The news agent still looked sceptical. "S'pose not," he said guardedly. "Anyway, it's hard to miss. It's up on that big hill at the east end of the city. Mind you don't get too close, though. You both seems like nice girls, and I'd hate to think of you getting eaten by a book."

"Erm, thanks," said Rose.

"Yeah. Cheers, mate," said Ace. She turned to Rose. "So, you ready?"

Rose looked down at her half-finished kavia. "Uh-huh. This stuff packs quite a punch, but it's really, really disgusting." She poured it onto the ground and tossed the cup in a nearby can. "Let's go."

tbc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:09 pm 
Feedbacking Sci Fi King

Interesting premise! I like the mystery of the books losing their words and people and things disappearing when they go in. :thumbsup

Hopeless Candy-Coated, Stargazing, Dreamer!
- - - -

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who fic: The Library of Blank Books, COMPLETE/YTeen
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:47 pm 

The Library of Blank Books, pt. 3

"... and since then, anyone who goes near the General Collection just sort of-- disappears," the Doctor finished, chains rattling as he shifted position to try and ease the ache between his shoulder blades.

"Fascinating!" his younger self exclaimed. "That implies that the informational vortex around the library is still active, to some extent, at least. And this group of so-called scientists intends to fill the void with knowledge gleaned from the most advanced races in the cosmos, and somehow harness it for their own-- erm, are you quite all right, over there?"

The Doctor froze, then made a conscious effort to relax his cramped shoulders and stop fidgeting. "Fine. Yes. No problems, here. Nicest place that I've been chained to the wall in, oh, must be months, at least. You?"

The smaller man shrugged. "It was fine for the first twelve hours, or so. But, back to the point at hand; we can't exactly allow them to gain all the secrets of the Time Lords, now can we? The results to the Web of Time could be disastrous. I mean, with that kind of knowledge at their disposal, this lot could make the Daleks look like a children's theatre group by comparison."

He tried not to flinch. "Yeah. Sure. Not to mention the fact that I have several things on my itinerary this week that don't involve getting eaten by a book with an attitude problem. And Rose would kill me if I left her stranded here."

"Ace would probably blow up the building," the other Doctor mused.

He couldn't help the smile that tugged at one corner of his mouth. "Ace would blow up the building, wait until you'd regenerated, and then kill you."

"Uncomfortably close to the truth, I suspect. We need some sort of plan."

"Right. A plan." Okay. Focus. "Here's what we'll do. As soon as they come to the door--"

The door opened with a clang, revealing the goons and their keeper.

"Nicely timed," said the little man. "Couldn't have done it better, myself."

"It's a gift," he muttered.

"Spooky," said Rose as she and Ace walked down the deserted street leading to the library.

"I know what you mean," Ace agreed. "Looks like the locals give this place a wide berth. Can't really blame them, I s'pose. Hang on a minute, before we get to the building." She stepped over to one of the marble benches flanking the large plaza, swung her rucksack down on to the seat, and then began rummaging inside, pulling out a silver canister. "I need to check my stash."

Rose stared at the can for a couple of seconds. "You need to check your stash... of... spray deodorant?"

Ace let out a single bark of laughter. "Nah. I just re-use the cans, that's all. I need to check my stash of nitro-nine."

She must have caught Rose's blank look, because she paused, looking expectant. "Nitro-nine? Explosives? Like nitro-glycerin, but with a bit more wallop?" she said, as if it was obvious.

Rose blinked, then blinked again. Glancing down at her feet, she noticed that she was backing away from the other girl slowly, and forced herself to stop. "You're carrying a bomb," she said, more of a statement than a question. "A bomb. In a deodorant can. In your rucksack."

"I've got three," Ace said helpfully.

"Three bombs. Okay. That's really... okay. Are they safe?"

"Well, I had some problems during the early development, but in this latest batch, I think I've got everything ironed out. More or less."

I'm about to break into an evil library with a madwoman, Rose thought. Aloud, she said, "Er, good. That's good. Now, we, um-- we need to figure out how to get inside without getting eaten. I'm not sure I believe the stuff about the books, but something obviously happened to the people who've gone in there and disappeared."

"And the robot. Don't forget the robot," Ace said, packing her "stash" away and closing the sack. "The newsagent said once it got near the General Collection, it disappeared. Now, to me, that says that it was okay to be inside, just not to be where they keep the books."

"Makes sense," Rose allowed. She stared at the marble building, thinking fast. "You know, I've worked in a lot of big old buildings like this. One thing they all had in common-- they all had a main entrance, for the customers... patrons, whatever... and a tradesman's entrance tucked away out of sight, for deliveries and what have you. I bet this one's no different, and I think that's where we should go. It'll be further from the books, and if anyone's watching, they'll be paying more attention to the front door. Probably easier to break in, if it's locked, too."

"Good thinking, Blondie," Ace said, looking mildly impressed. "All right, then. Let's go find out what the inside of a Library of Blank Books looks like."

"You have no idea of the sort of power you're dabbling with," said the Doctor's previous self, his voice admirably strong and level considering that he was being frog-marched up a marble stairwell with his wrists handcuffed behind him.

"Besides," the current Doctor added, "the knowledge is no use to you if you can't access it. Try to read the books you've filled, and you'll get sucked in as well. You've no way to turn the process off."

"What makes you think that I don't?" asked the scientist; probably rhetorically.

The Doctor met his previous self's eyes for a moment, frowning.

"Well, do you?" he asked.

"Would I have started a project like this if I didn't?" said the scientist.

"Dunno, " he answered. "Depends on how much of a delusional megalomaniac you are."

The man in the white coat raised an eyebrow, and turned his attention to one of the Doctor's guards.

"Guard," he said. "Hit him. Don't do any permanent damage, please."

The Doctor gasped as the guard on his left punched him sharply in the kidney, barely breaking stride. The younger Doctor winced in sympathy, but wisely held his tongue. Taking a firmer grip of his arms, the two guards continued hauling him up the stairs.

Ace peeked out of the door of the stairwell. "All clear," she said.

Rose followed her out cautiously, looking up and down the dusty hallway. She tried the first door, and then the second. "Looks like conference rooms, or offices, maybe."

"Same here. Seems deserted," Ace said from across the hall. "I think we should split up; try to find anything suspicious."

Rose nodded. "Sounds good. Just try to give us a little warning before you go setting off any of that nitro-whatever-it-is, yeah?"

"If I can, Blondie. If I can."

"Good luck. Watch out for carnivorous books, eh?"

"Same to you."

"For the last time, you're meddling with forces that you cannot possibly understand. Causality... time itself!"

The scientist continued to adjust the detection equipment in the entryway of the General Collection, almost but not quite ignoring him.

"Time Lords," the man muttered. "The legends said that they were pompous know-it-alls, but it didn't warn that they could be so ridiculously tiresome." He raised his voice, addressing the two Doctors directly. "Look at it this way, gentlemen. You and your fellow prisoners are about to explore completely uncharted territory; unlocking new knowledge and new possibilities-- for myself and my colleagues, if not necessarily for yourselves."

He was met with no reply, and he peered suspiciously at the two of them, still handcuffed and guarded. "Little man, your companion cajoles and threatens, while you remain silent. For someone facing life from inside the pages of a book, you seem remarkably unconcerned. Why is that?"

The younger Doctor straightened himself to his full height, like a magician preparing to pull a rabbit from a hat.

"Simple," he said. "It just so happens that I have an Ace up my sleeve."

The older Doctor's eyes flickered unbidden around the room, coming to rest on a small, dark figure in the shadows of the entrance through which they'd been marched a few minutes before. He quickly looked away, clamping down on a grin, and schooling his features to a calm mask instead.

A second later, there was an outraged squawk from the other side of the doorway. The scientist looked away, toward the source of the noise, then turned back to his captive, eyebrows raised superciliously.

"Perhaps you have overplayed your hand," he deadpanned.

The smaller man's face fell as two more guards entered, subduing the struggling Ace. One of them stripped the rucksack from her, and tossed it back through the doorway, out of reach.

"Ace?" he called anxiously.

Ace jerked against the arms holding her, without effect. "Sorry, Professor. I didn't see the toerags coming."

"Never mind," said the scientist, playing his scanner over the girl. "I don't have any humans in the collection downstairs. They're not exactly what you'd call an enlightened species, but they do have a certain resourcefulness that might be useful. I'm sure we can find room in the library for your little soldier."

Rose pressed herself further into the shadow behind the pillar as the guards dragged Ace away. She could vaguely discern male voices arguing in the room beyond, but her attention was focused on the black rucksack lying abandoned on the ground in front of the doorway. Silently, she crept toward the canvas bag, praying that the commotion of Ace's capture would distract everyone for a few more precious seconds.

Sticking close to the wall, she chanced a quick look into the room. The Doctor was there, handcuffed, along with Ace and another man, surrounded by bad guys. She darted out at fast as she could, grabbed the rucksack, and pulled it back, out of the line-of-sight. Sweating, she reached inside and pulled out a silver cylinder.

It looked like deodorant.

Felt like deodorant-- well, a bit heavier, maybe.

With a deep breath, she gripped the cylinder in both hands, and barged through the door. Two guards were forcing the Doctor toward an archway on the other side of the room. Rows of bookshelves were visible beyond.

"All right-- everybody freeze!" she yelled, holding the deodorant can aloft. "This thing is a bomb, and I'm not afraid to use it!"

The Doctor was gaping at her, but she couldn't let herself be distracted.

The head baddie whirled around at the sound of her voice, and she could feel him weighing her; measuring her.

"Are you really ready to commit suicide, girl?" he asked. "I don't think you are. That doesn't even look like a real bomb. Perhaps you think you can bluff me?"

Rose opened her mouth to formulate a response, but Ace cut her off.

"Pull the top off and throw it, Sunshine!"

Rose pulled the top off, and threw it with all her might across the room and through the archway into the General Collection.

In slow motion, the silver cylinder arced through the air-- a perfect throw.

In slow motion, everyone in the room dove to the side, away from the direct line through the arch.

There was a beat. And another.

Nothing happened.

Several angry-looking guards clambered to their feet and began to stalk toward Rose as she huddled on the floor with her hands over her head. She watched as they loomed closer and closer.

"Oh, sh--" she began, only to be cut off by a deafening boom that shook the room and blew the approaching guards off of their feet. Her head was ringing as she staggered unsteadily to her feet, trying to see past the smoke and the dust.

"Rose!" The familiar shout sounded distant; attenuated. But in an instant, the Doctor was next to her, still handcuffed, and with a smattering of dust making his hair and eyebrows white. She steadied herself against him, and grinned up at him like a loon, watching as his worried look relaxed into an answering grin.

Across the room, Ace was searching the pockets of the head bad guy's white lab coat. She pulled out a set of keys, and quickly released the other prisoner's handcuffs-- her Professor, Rose was willing to bet. The two of them resumed the search, the little man pocketing several weird technological items. Then Ace pulled out a familiar-looking device, scrutinised it for a moment, and tossed it to Rose with a grin.

"Fantastic!" said the Doctor, as Rose turned the sonic screwdriver on his handcuffs, unlocking them. Rose handed him the screwdriver and he pocketed it. Then his expression fell. "Uh-oh," he said.

Rose looked around. The stunned guards were slowly beginning to pull themselves up. One of them was pointing through the archway with a shaking finger. "The books," he cried. "The books are on fire!"

Sure enough, smoke was beginning to billow from the room beyond, and Rose could just make out the faint crackling of flames as her hearing began to return to normal.

"What have you done?" yelled the scientist, now handcuffed himself, thanks to Ace.

"Should we try to put it out?" Rose asked.

"How?" said the Doctor. "If we go in there, we cease to exist."

"Oh. Yeah. Good point."

"But once a big enough percentage of the books are destroyed, the interior and exterior of the informational vortex will equalise," said the Professor. "And as soon as that happens..."

"Boom?" finished Ace.

"Boom," confirmed the Professor.

"He's right," said the Doctor. "We need to get everyone out, right now."

The guards didn't need to be told twice. Grabbing their injured colleagues, they staggered toward the exit.

"What about my specimens?" wailed the head bad guy.

The Doctor hauled him to his feet. "They should be safe underground. It'll be more of an implosion than an explosion, I expect. You know, it's a pity you couldn't've cared more about their well-being when you were planning on feeding them to the library. C'mon, Rose-- no time to lose."

In the end, they made it most of the way across the plaza with the benches before a giant sucking sound behind them alerted them to the library's final demise. A sonic boom shook the ground as air rushed back into the now-empty space, setting Rose's ears ringing once again.

"Wicked!" Ace opined.

Several hours later, Rose lounged in the jump seat as the Doctor ushered the last of the erstwhile prisoners out of the TARDIS, and back home. The fire and explosion had brought sirens to the scene within minutes of their escape from the library. The authorities were wary at first, but confirmation of the underground cells full of prisoners soon convinced them, and the scientist and his guards were taken away, into custody.

The Doctor played the Time Lord card, and in no time at all he was given free rein, granted custody of the scientist's former prisoners and placed in charge of returning them to their home planets. Somehow, in the confusion, the Professor and Ace slipped away before Rose had a chance to speak to them.

"There we go!" The Doctor strode up the ramp, dusting off his hands. "All sorted, and just in time for tea."

She smiled at him.

"Yeah," she said, wistful. "I just wish I'd had a chance to give Ace a proper good-bye."

The Doctor leaned against the console in front of her, one ankle crossed over the other.

"Liked her, did you?"

Rose snorted. "If by 'liked', you mean 'was scared to death of', then... yeah. I liked her."

He turned around, and began setting the co-ordinates on the TARDIS console.

"Who knows," he said. "Maybe your paths will cross again, someday."

"Maybe. It's just... her and the Professor. They reminded me a lot of me and you. I thought we were unusual, but now... maybe there are lots of people travelling around out there, standing up for what's right and fighting the bad guys. Y'know?"

The Doctor only smiled, and hit the dematerialisation lever.

fin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:50 pm 

Island Breeze wrote:
Interesting premise! I like the mystery of the books losing their words and people and things disappearing when they go in. :thumbsup

Thanks, Island Breeze! Hopefully the ending won't disappoint. Sorry it took so long to get it posted. :(